What are Fructooligosacchrides (FOS) and what are the benefits?
* FOS is recognized as a soluble fiber
* FOS is slightly sweet (1/3 of the sweetness of sucrose)
* FOS is a prebiotic: promote the growth of beneficial microbes in the gut
* FOS has a low caloric value (1/2 of the calories of sugar)
* FOS is not a sugar
What is the richest natural source of FOS?
Yacon is the richest natural source of FOS
* Yacon products add plenty of soluble fiber to any food application (for example, 30% of weight of yacon syrup is in the form of FOS)
* FOS are prebiotics and promote gut health
* Yacon syrup is sweet and has excellent flavour. In food application this is important as yacon syrup can raise the fiber levels of a product and adds sweetness without raising sugar levels
* Yacon syrup can substitute ingredients that provide fiber and sweetness
* Yacon products do not add fat to food applications
* The sugar content is low (3g/10g)
* There is scientific evidence that examines and shows that consumptions of yacon syrup helps with weight loss, lowering LD cholesterol, constipation, overall health and the reduction of resistance to insulin.